BLOODY SUNDAY. DELUNDENTE LA RISPOSTA DEI TESTIMONI ALL’APPELLO DELLA PSNI
Police have made a renewed appeal for witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry on the events of Bloody Sunday to get in touch with them, saying their original appeal has had a disappointing response.
The PSNI officer leading the investigation said adverts will be placed in local newspapers and on billboards in Londonderry appealing for any of the 1,000-plus witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry to come forward and be re-interviewed for the police investigation.
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison said last month’s public appeal and advertising campaign had a limited response.
He explained that witnesses, including civilians and soldiers, need to be re-interviewed as testimony given during the Saville inquiry cannot be used in the criminal investigation.
On January 30, 1972, British Army paratroopers shot dead 13 people, while a fourteenth person died later, during a civil rights march in the city.
After 12 years of investigations and at a cost of almost £200m the Saville report was published in 2010.
Prime Minister David Cameron apologised for what had happened and said the killings were “unjustified and unjustifiable”.
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison, said: “The response to our original appeal for witnesses to talk to us has been disappointing. If we are to make progress, we need witness statements.
“We are renewing our appeal and placing additional advertising to increase awareness of what we’re working to achieve. The adverts asking people to come forward will be in local newspapers and on billboards in Derry.
“We need people to work with us. If people don’t come forward, it will further delay this lengthy and complicated process.”
The police appeal added that “all matters will be treated in the strictest confidence and the support and welfare of witnesses are important considerations”.
The PSNI said it is “determined to conduct a thorough, professional and effective investigation”.