‘MANO PESANTE’, CRITICHE AL PSNI
Atteggiamento esageramente ostile del PSNI in occasione dei recenti disordini a Derry
Piovono da tutte le parti critiche contro il PSNI, per l’intervento giudicato oltremodo violento in occasione dei riots che hanno caratterizzato la giornata e la nottata dell’Apprentice Boys Parade.
I dissensi sopraggiungono soprattutto dai residenti delle zone che sono state al centro delle violenze.
Liz Nash di Fahan Street, ha spiegato come la figlia di sedici anni sia stata letteralmente presa per il collo da un agente di polizia.
“Non posso credere che si sentano minacciate da una ragazza sedicenne”.
“Mi sentivo terrorizzata in casa mia, e non c’è niente che puoi fare e non c’è nessuno lì per aiutarti”.
Gli abitanti del Waterside, così come dichiarato da Raymond McCartney del Sinn Fein, sono stati costretti nelle loro case dal mattino sino al tardo pomeriggio ed ha affermato che questi atteggiamenti delle forze di sicurezza riportano la memoria al passato.
“A volte la risposta dei gruppi di supporto tattico è insensibile, a volte arrivano con l’atteggiamento sbagliato, portando con sé alcuni alcuni comportamenti del passato. Queste sono tutte questioni che devono essere affrontate”.
Il PSNI ha ufficialmente dichiarato che i disordini sono stati trattati in modo appropriato e professionale e di esporre eventuali reclami presso il Police Ombudsman.
“Per tutta la sera, un gran numero di pietre, razzi e molotov sono stati gettati contro la polizia e le proprietà di alcune aree”.
“Siamo fiduciosi che la maggioranza delle persone apprezzano e capiscono che la polizia sta lavorando per tutelare la vita e la proprietà in circostanze difficili”.
Vodpod videos no longer available.
PSNI criticised over city trouble (BBC News Northern Ireland)
The police have been criticised for their handling of trouble which flared after an Apprentice Boys’ parade in Londonderry on Saturday.
Two police officers were injured after petrol bombs and other missiles were thrown. Nine people have been charged.
Some residents in Fahan Street said the police were heavy-handed, and the City Centre Initiative’s chairman described Saturday as “a return to a decade ago”.
The PSNI said incidents were handled in a professional and appropriate manner.
“Throughout the evening, a large number of stones, missiles and petrol bombs were thrown at police and property in a number of areas.
“We are confident that the majority of people appreciate and understand that police are working to protect life and property in difficult circumstances,” a PSNI spokesperson said.
They also said that anyone with a complaint should contact the Police Ombudsman.
Liz Nash from Fahan Street said her 16-year-old daughter had been left “terrified” by the police’s actions.
“A policeman had her headlocked – he had his arm around her neck.
“I can’t believe he would feel threatened by a 16-year-old girl.
“I felt terrified in my own home, and there’s nothing you can do and there’s nobody there to help you,” she said.
Brendan Duddy from the City Centre Initiative said Saturday’s parade was “terrible for the town”.
“It’s absolutely expected that it turns out like that, and the bottom line is that we’ve had enough of it,” he said.
“Each of the groups, be it the traders or the police or the groups of protestors, they all circle their wagons round their group, each protecting its own interests.”
Sinn Fein MLA Raymond McCartney agreed the parade had caused problems for traders and residents.
“ Residents, particularly in the Waterside, feel that they’re being hemmed into their homes from early morning until teatime ”
“It creates issues for the residents, particularly in the Waterside, who feel that they’re being hemmed into their homes from early morning until teatime.
“The town closes down – even though some people would say there’s access – and then you have the aftermath.
“Sometimes the response of the tactical support groups is insensitive, sometimes they come in with the wrong attitude, and carry with them some of the behaviour of the past.
“These are all issues that have to be addressed,” said Mr McCartney.
DUP MLA and Apprentice Boy William Hay said the organisation had done what it could to hold a peaceful parade.
“It is a tragedy that after the parade we still have people who want to throw petrol bombs and who want to attack the police.
“We’re back almost four or five years ago to where people believe that after the parade the police officers are a real target for attack.”
Trouble flared at Butcher’s Gate, Magazine Street, Fahan Street and the Memorial Hall after the parade on Saturday.
Six men – aged 48, 30, 28, 22, and two 25-year-olds – were charged with public order offences and two other males – aged 17 and 21 – with possession of a petrol bomb.
They are due to appear in Londonderry Magistrates’ Court next month.
Another teenager also arrested on Saturday night will appear in the same court on Monday charged with breaching his bail conditions.
17 other people were arrested but have been released without charge.
The police said the parade itself passed off “largely peacefully”.
Its start was delayed following the discovery of two suspicious objects at Governor Walker’s Pillar on the city’s walls.
Controlled explosions were carried out by the Army. The devices were later declared elaborate hoaxes.
Up to 10,000 Apprentice Boys and 130 bands took part in the parade.
At the same time, the 32-County Sovereignty Movement held a protest at Free Derry Corner to mark the anniversary of internment.