‘ODORE’ DI RIOTS AD ARDOYNE
L’Apprentice Boys of Derry Parade a rischio di disordini ad Ardoyne
L’Intelligence ha ragione di credere che un piccolo gruppo di persone è pronto a causare disordini durante l’Apprentice Boys of Derry Parade che attravrrserà Ardoyne il prossimo sabato, 8 agosto.
“Noi non intendiamo lasciare che una piccola minoranza ci riportano al passato”, ha ribadito Jon Burrows, ispettore capo del PSNI.
Personaggio di spicco dell’Orange Order avevano richiesto l’apposizione di schermi protettivi nelle aree probabili focolaio di disordini, ma il PSNI ha affermato di esser fiduciosa nelle misure di sicurezza predisposte.
“Gli ufficiali risponderanno con prontezza agli incidenti che potrebbero potenzialmente sfociare in disordini e qualsiasi comportamento giudicato inappropriato verrà trattato con fermezza”.
In attesa di un giorno in cui le forze di polizia non dovranno necessariamente essere in prima linea, “tutti devono assumersi la responsabilità di garantire che questi eventi non non vengaono offuscati dalle azioni di pochi individui”.
La parata segnerà il 320° anniversario del Seige of Derry (Assedio di Derry)
Group intend to ‘disrupt parade’ (4 NI)
A “small group of people are intent on causing disruption” at an Apprentice Boys parade in Londonderry on Saturday, police have said.
Twenty people have been charged following disturbances during the Twelfth parade in Derry last month.
“The public should be in no doubt that similar steps will be taken should trouble break out this weekend,” said Acting Chief Inspector Jon Burrows.
“We are not going to let a small minority bring us back to the past.”
Trouble flared on Monday 13 July near the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall and Fountain area.
Police said dissident republicans had been seen in the area at the time and that there was “some sort of sinister influence in the background”.
Both sides spat at each other and threw missiles. Petrol bombs were thrown during some of the disturbances.
Leading figures from the Orange Order and the Apprentice Boys of Derry had asked the police to consider erecting Perspex screens at flashpoints along the parade route.
In July, the Orange Order’s chief marshal, David Ramsey, said his marshals were put at risk as rival spectators were not kept far enough away from each other.
The police said they are confident the “necessary measures” have been put in place to combat any trouble.
“Intelligence leads us to believe that a small group of people are intent on causing disruption,” said Ch Insp Burrows.
“This will not be tolerated. Officers will respond quickly to incidents that have potential to cause disorder and anyone found behaving inappropriately will be dealt with robustly.
“A lot of time, money and resources are spent policing parades.
“We look forward to the day when police resources at parades can be scaled right back. Until that day everyone must bear the responsibility to ensure these events are not tarnished by the actions of a few individuals.”
The parade will mark the 320th anniversary of the Seige of Derry.