NUOVA INDAGINE SULLA STRAGE DI ENNISKILLEN
An old community centre lies in ruins the morning after the IRA bombing of a Remembrance Day ceremony in the town of Enniskillen on November 8, 1987
Published on Sunday 4 November 2012 14:09
Police have launched a new investigation into the Remembrance Day bombing at Enniskillen, it was revealed on Sunday.
DUP MLA Arlene Foster said a fresh inquiry had been opened after detectives were given new information about the IRA atrocity 25 years ago.
The Fermanagh and South Tyrone MLA said: “The Enniskillen bomb was an act of horrific savagery. It was motivated by nothing other than a desire to kill and maim. It was indiscriminate. Young and old were injured. It was targeting innocent people.”
Eleven people were killed and 63 others were injured when the no warning bomb ripped through the Co Fermanagh town on November 8, 1987.
A 12th victim school principal, Ronnie Hill, spent 13 years in a coma and died in 2000.
No one has ever been convicted in connection with the massacre, among the worst of the Troubles.
Ms Foster claimed police were following an active line of inquiry.
The development follows the completion of an investigation by the Historical Enquiries Team (HET).
The report has not been published however, details have been handed to the PSNI serious crime squad for further examination.
Thursday marks the 25th anniversary of the bombing. A memorial service will be held at the scene on Thursday for the survivors and relatives of those who were killed. First Minister Peter Robinson is expected to attend a service at St McCartin’s Cathedral also on Thursday.
Ms Foster added: “Twenty-five years after the explosion, someone somewhere knows something about the perpetrators. Someone knows where the bomb was made, how it was transported and who planned the attack. This wasn’t executed by one of two people. A team of people were involved.”
A breakthrough in the investigation would provide hope for the families seeking justice, she said.
Ms Foster added: “As has been demonstrated with Gerry McGeough being convicted of the attempted murder of my colleague Councillor Sammy Brush decades after the event, there is always time for justice.
“Anyone who can bring any information to the police should do so. Perhaps in 1987 they didn’t feel able but as they watch the victims and relatives on Thursday I hope they will be moved to help the police with the investigation.”
In a statement the PSNI said: “The Historical Enquiries Team has concluded its work on the deaths which were caused at the Enniskillen cenotaph bombing in 1987.
“Staff have updated the families on the HET work and will formally hand over to the PSNI’s serious crime branch who will assess the potential for further work to be progressed.”
- New probe into Enniskillen bombing (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Police to study Enniskillen report (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- PSNI launches fresh Enniskillen investigation (newstalk.ie)
- Enniskillen bombing to be re-investigated by police (guardian.co.uk)
- New investigation into Enniskillen massacre (telegraph.co.uk)