ORDIGNO ESPLOSIVO ALLA STAZIONE DELLA PSNI DI TANDRAGEE
A ‘viable device’ has been discovered at a police station in Tandragee, Co Armagh, police have confirmed.
Army technical officers examined the object, thought to be a pipe bomb-style device, which was left at the gates of the station during the alert which has now ended.
Residents have been allowed to return after a number of homes in the area had to be evacuated.
The Armagh Road was closed to traffic during the alert.
Danny Kennedy, Ulster Unionist MLA for Newry and Armagh condemned those responsible for the attack.
“Whoever they are or whatever cause they profess to follow, cowardly attacks on police officers, police stations or local communities will not advance their cause one iota,” he added.
“They have caused a lot of inconvenience to local residents, with disabled people and young and old alike being evacuated from their homes in Ballymore Park and along the Armagh Road.”
Mr Kennedy thanked the police and army teams for dealing with the alert.
He added: “We must all be mindful of the work that the security forces continue to do in defence of a democratic society and give them our full support.”
Newry and Armagh DUP MLA William Irwin MLA also condemned those responsible for the device as offering “nothing only destruction and disruption”.
“This is a very concerning incident especially in a rural town like Tandragee and it is especially concerning when so many residents, many of whom are elderly, have had to leave their homes whilst this suspect device is dealt with,” he said.
“No one in Tandragee wants this type of disruption and indeed considering the threat to our Police officers remains so high at the moment, having devices left at Police stations is extremely reckless and totally abhorrent.
“Young families also go for walks out the Armagh road and pass the station gates which only adds to the risk this suspect device could have posed.”
Police have appealed for anyone with information on the incident to contact them.
- Viable explosive device found close to a Northern Ireland police station – @itvnews (itv.com)
- Security alert at police station (bbc.co.uk)
- Dissident bomb was intended to kill police officer (independent.ie)
- UK News: Bomb target officer was with family (VIDEO) (walesonline.co.uk)
- Bomb found under off-duty policeman’s car in Belfast (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Justice Minister Ford slams booby trap attack on police officer (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Foiled Car Bomb Attempt In Belfast Condemned (news.sky.com)
- Northern Ireland bomb ‘could have killed police officer’s family’ (guardian.co.uk)
- PSNI confirm officer targeted with car bomb (newsletter.co.uk)
- Bomb could have killed police officer’s family (independent.ie)