CIRA RIVENDICA BOOBY TRAP BOMB A WEST BELFAST
THE Continuity IRA has claimed responsibility for a bobby trap bomb under a policeman’s car in West Belfast last week.
The device was discovered on the Blacks Road in West Belfast last Friday and is believed to have fallen from the underside of a car as it traveled along the route, close to Woodbourne RUC/PSNI station. Police later said the device was viable and a number of homes were evacuated while the British army bomb squad made it safe.
In a statement to the Irish News the Continuity’s IRA “GHQ leadership” claimed responsibility for the device. The statement, which was accompanied by a codeword, threatened to carry out more attacks on the security forces. The group also said it intends to target members of the Policing Board “and anybody that supports the RUC/PSNI”. The statement also said that “dole fraud squad, TV licence officers, custom and excise and bank officials are all deemed as to be legitimate targets”.
The CIRA was responsible for a sniper attack that claimed the life of RUC/PSNI man Stephen Carroll (who two men are still waiting for justice on their appeal since October) in March 2009 in Lurgan.
In recent years the group has reformed and weeded out some of the bad apples who were bringing their good name into disrespute. In its statement the group said its leadership is drawn from accross Ireland. “There is only one IRA that represents the four provinces of Ireland,” the statement read.
SDLP councillor Brian Heading condemned last week’s devolpment. “Once againa a community in this city has been held to those intent on creating chaos and misery,” he said.
With many thanks to: Connla Young, the Irish News.