UFFICIALE LA CANDIDATURA DI McGUINNESS ALLE PRESIDENZIALI DELLA REPUBBLICA D’IRLANDA
SF ratify McGuinness for presidency (UTV)
Martin McGuinness has been confirmed as Sinn Féin’s candidate for the Irish presidential election.
The party’s Ard Chomhairle ratified his candidacy on Sunday.
Mr McGuinness will now stand down from his role as Deputy First Minister, with Education Minister John O’Dowd to be nominated to serve as his temporary replacement from Monday.
The Derry-born 61-year-old told UTV his presidential bid could be “an opportunity for new beginnings”, and indicated he would meet the Queen as part of his duties in the role.
“Martin McGuinness says he told Peter Robinson about his decision 24 hours before it was made public. Mr Robinson was philosophical about it.” – UTV’s Political Editor Ken Reid on Twitter
Mr McGuinness was an IRA commander in the Bogside before entering into politics, eventually helping with talks that led to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.
He said he believed his background would not be a hurdle with people judging him on the work he has carried out for peace over the last number of years.
Speaking after Sinn Féin’s executive announced the decision, Mr McGuinness admitted that some may be tempted to bring up the past, but insisted he is only concerned with the future.
“I have promoted peace everywhere I have gone,” he said.
“I know there will be a very strong temptation for people to drag us back to the past and God knows there are enough of them trying to in a violent sense.
“But I am of the here and now and very focused on the future.”
He said his presidential bid will not disrupt the workings of government in Northern Ireland, and vowed to take only the average wage of approximately €35,000 and donate the rest to the state, if elected.
“I have every confidence that the (Northern Ireland) institutions will not be destabilised, that the work will continue, that the peace process will remain secure,” he said.
“In fact I think it will be strengthened by the fact that I am now participating in this very important election.”
Irish President Mary McAleese has capped her salary this year at €250,000, or £218,000.
Mr McGuinness also said three unionist politicians have wished him well since his return from a US investment mission with Peter Robinson – the DUP First Minister reacted “philosophically” to news of his candidacy, he added.
However DUP MP for East Londonderry Gregory Campbell said Mr McGuinness has “a bad past but no future”.
“The Irish Republic deciding who they will have as their President is obviously a matter for the voters in that country,” Mr Campbell said.
“The relevance to unionists in Northern Ireland of this election will at least be crystallised.
“For a number of years we have been told that the people in the Republic have no interest in Northern Ireland, now we will have the chance to see if that is the case.”
Mr McGuinness has been backed by his Sinn Féin colleagues and several Independent TDs – Michael Healy-Rae, Tom Fleming, Finian McGrath and Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan.
He enters the race alongside Fine Gael’s Gay Mitchell, businessman Sean Gallagher, Special Olympics boss Mary Davis and Labour’s Michael D Higgins of Labour.
Meanwhile, Independent TD David Norris – who previously pulled out of the campaign over a scandal involving his former partner – has said he would re-enter if he receives enough support.
The Irish Presidential election will be held on 27 October.
Related articles
- McGuinness declared SF candidate (bbc.co.uk)
- Ex-IRA commander McGuinness seeks Irish presidency (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Ex-IRA leader McGuinness to run for Irish president (ctv.ca)
- McGuinness move ‘boost for peace’ (mirror.co.uk)