IL CARDINAL BRADY CHIESE SCUSA

Nello stesso giorno in cui il Cardinal Brady esprime vergogna per l’accaduto, viene invitato a rivedere la sua posizione del vice primo ministro Martin McGuinness

Il Cardinale Sean Brady chiede scusa a tutti coloro ‘che si sentono delusi da me’.
La sua dichiarazione recita: “Questa settimana un episodio doloroso dal mio passato è stato rivangato.
“Ho ascoltato la reazione da parte di persone sul mio ruolo negli eventi di 35 anni fa”.
“Voglio dire a chi è stato ferito da un mio fallimento che mi scuso con con tutto il cuore”.
“Chiedo anche scusa a tutti coloro che si sentono delusi da me”.
“Guardando indietro mi vergogno di non aver sempre sostenuto i valori che professano e in cui credo.”
Nel giorno delle celebrazioni in onore di S. Patrizio il vice primo ministro nordirlandese, Martin McGuinness, invita il cardinale a rivedere la propria posizione.
“Se a due bambini è stato chiesto di firmare i voti di silenzio, allora, a quanti altri è stato chiesto di fare la stessa cosa nel corso degli anni?” ha chiesto McGuinness durante la sua visita a Washington.
“La mia unica conclusione su tutto questo, è che il cardinale Brady deve considerare la sua posizione”.
Nel frattempo Papa Benedetto XVI ha annunciato che venerdì firmerà la sua lunga lettera pastorale incentrata sul fenomeno della pedofilia in Irlanda.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

Traduci l’articolo…
Share


Brady ‘ashamed’ at abuse handling (Newsletter)

The head of the Catholic church in Ireland has apologised for his role in mishandling the case of a serial child abuser.
As a priest in 1975 Cardinal Sean Brady was at meetings where children signed vows of silence over complaints against paedophile priest Fr Brendan Smyth.
He said he wanted to apologise to “all those who feel I have let them down”.
Meanwhile, Pope Benedict XVI Benedict has announced that on Friday he will sign his long awaited pastoral letter dealing with paedophilia in Ireland.
He said he hoped his letter would “help repentance, healing and renewal”.
In a statement on Wednesday, Cardinal Brady said: “This week a painful episode from my own past has come before me.
“I have listened to reaction from people to my role in events 35 years ago.
“I want to say to anyone who has been hurt by any failure on my part that I apologise to you with all my heart.
“I also apologise to all those who feel I have let them down.
“Looking back I am ashamed that I have not always upheld the values that I profess and believe in.”

Brady should ‘consider position’ (U TV)
Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has said Cardinal Brady should “consider his position”, following revelations that he didn’t report complaints about serial abuser Father Brendan Smyth to the authorities in 1975.
Speaking in Washington ahead of the St Patrick’s Day celebrations, Mr McGuinness said he was “dismayed” by the latest revelations to rock the Catholic Church.
“If two children were asked to sign vows of silence, then how many more were asked to do the same thing down the years?” He asked on Tuesday.
“My only conclusion to all of this is that Cardinal Brady has to consider his position”.
The head of the church in Ireland has defended his role in the meeting where two children abused by Smyth were asked to take a vow of silence as part of an internal investigation by clergy.
Cardinal Brady, who is being sued by one of the Smyth’s victims in Dublin’s High Court, has maintained there was no cover-up when he carried out his investigations 35 years ago.
A statement issued by the Church on Tuesday insisted the current cardinal was a junior figure at the time.
In late March 1975, Father Sean Brady was asked by his bishop, Bishop Francis McKiernan, to conduct a canonical inquiry into the allegation of child sexual abuse, the church said.
Father Brady was then a full-time teacher at St Patrick’s College, Cavan.
He took notes during the two meetings with children aged 14 and 15 who he believed had been abused by Smyth.
“A week later Father Brady passed his findings to Bishop McKiernan for his immediate action,” said the Catholic Communications Office.
The One In Four victims’ group executive director Maeve Lewis said: “No-one is disputing that Cardinal Brady was not the most senior person in the investigation into Brendan Smyth.
“But on the other hand, he was a man in his 30s, he must have known what happened was wrong and was a crime.”
Cardinal Brady has said he will only step down if told to by the Pope.
On Tuesday, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin – the second most senior Catholic in Ireland – said resigning was a personal decision.
The most important issue was that the entire truth comes out, he added.
“Somebody should have stopped him,” he said of serial abuser Father Smyth.
“Brendan Smyth should have been stopped from the very first time it was known that he was abusing.”
Smyth was at the centre of one of the first paedophile priest scandals to rock the Catholic Church in Ireland.
A seven-month delay in extraditing him to Northern Ireland also led to the collapse of the Irish Government in November 1994.

Rispondi

Inserisci i tuoi dati qui sotto o clicca su un'icona per effettuare l'accesso:

Logo di WordPress.com

Stai commentando usando il tuo account WordPress.com. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Google photo

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Google. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto Twitter

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Twitter. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto di Facebook

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Facebook. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Connessione a %s...

Questo sito utilizza Akismet per ridurre lo spam. Scopri come vengono elaborati i dati derivati dai commenti.