GIOVANI ATTACCANO UNA MANIFESTAZIONE ANTI-RAZZISTA
Ieri sera un corteo manifestante contro il razzismo, in Lisburn Road a Belfast, è stato aggredito da un gruppo di giovani.
Quest’ultimi, lasciando un bar dove si erano ritrovati, si sono sentiti infastiditi da slogan dei manifestanti che vorrebbero i nazisti fuori dalle strade e hanno iniziato un lancio di bottiglie correndo in un vicolo. Sono fuggiti e poi ritornati lanciando un numero ancor maggiore di bottiglie, prima di essere cacciati via.
La fortuna ha voluto che non ci siano stati feriti.
Quando la polizia è arrivata sul luogo, la folla si era già dispersa pacificamente e tutto era tornato alla normalità.
La manifestazione era stata organizzata per protestare contro gli attacchi razzisti che si stanno ormai susseguendo dallo scorso mercoledì. Gli ultimi in ordine di tempo sono stati ieri 15 giugno, ai danni di famiglie rumene . Una banda aveva infatti rotto le finestre e terrorizzato le donne incinte e i bambini abitanti in Belgravia e Wellesley Avenues.
Ann Lo, di Alliance Party, ha dichiarato: “Siamo tutti qui per mostrare il supporto per i lavoratori immigrati che sono stati attaccati e sono stati assediati da una strada all’altra”.
Le prime tensioni risalgono a dopo i disordini del marzo scorso, occorsi a Windsor Park in occasione della partita Irlanda del Nord – Polonia.
Da allora, alcune famiglie di immigrati hanno deciso di lasciare le loro abitazioni.
Youths attack anti-racist protest (BBC news Northern Ireland)
A group of youths has attacked an anti-racist demonstration which was taking place in south Belfast. Residents held a demonstration on the Lisburn Road on Monday night following a spate of attacks on immigrant families living in the area. A group of youths leaving a bar were heckled by demonstrators and ran into an alley where they threw bottles. They ran off, but came back and threw more bottles before being chased away. No-one was injured in the incident. Police were called to the scene, but the crowds dispersed peacefully and the area now appears to be quiet. Organiser Paddy Meehan said there had been continual attacks from Wednesday. “People are absolutely livid about what has been happening here and it has to stop,” he said. “This protest has sent a clear message that people do not want this going on in their area and that this has to stop right now.” Demonstrators had shouted “Nazis off our streets” as the youths passed and the youths gave Nazi salutes. The Alliance Party’s Anna Lo said that the trouble at the rally was a “disgrace” but that those throwing bottles were “a small minority”. “We are all here to show support for the migrant workers who have been attacked and have been hounded out from one street to another street,” she said. Earlier, two houses inhabited by a Romanian family were targeted in a racist attack. A gang smashed windows and terrorised pregnant women and children in attacks on houses on Belgravia and Wellesley avenues. Police have said they are investigating racist incidents and criminal damage in both areas over the last four days. It was claimed that the people who attacked the house were shouting Combat 18 slogans and a letter containing text from Hitler’s Mein Kampf was pushed through the letterbox of one of the properties. There have been racial tensions in the area since trouble erupted at a World Cup qualifier between Northern Ireland and Poland at Windsor Park in March. A number of migrant families subsequently decided to leave their homes.